I'm always looking for ways to relieve stress in a healthy and creative outlet. I recently discovered colouring in much to my amusement, and decided to ask someone a lot more creative then myself to share the insights and benefits on this new craze!
Introducing Karen, who also has a free mandala on her website that you must checkout and try for yourself - link at the bottom of Karen's post:
Have you seen the latest craze? You know those colouring in books and pages that are out now for Adults?
As a Colour and Relaxation therapist I am a big advocate of this tool to assist people for many reasons.
Some may not resonate immediately at acts such as colouring in or meditation however research now shows the benefits are jam packed and these two activities actually intertwine, which is a great happy medium for those of you who aren’t inclined to meditate, and is great way to relieve stress.
For those of you who are still on the fence about it please read on because we are about to add some new ingredients to the mix.
If you’re into health and wellbeing then I am certain you love both exercise and smoothies. Like the effects of a smoothie and exercise, I am sure you know what each of these does for your body and wellbeing for example they rejuvenate your cells and release feel good hormones, right?
Therefore we can move forward in the knowledge that you fully and consciously comprehend that these two things are both full of goodness and fuel your body. Well the same goes for colouring in
And here are seven key motives why activities such as colouring in are so vital for your mind, body and spirit’s health and wellbeing.
- It’s a great way to immerse yourself in an activity, and switch off at the end of the day, and wakes up your creatively. Reverting to a child like state of play is a great way to switch off from our adult to do brains.
- Colouring in allows you to be mindfully present in only the now it is also a beneficial tool for stress.
- Using colour spontaneously and expressively links into our subconscious mind, by-passing the censoring conscious mind.
- Colour empowers your soul because there is a colour that represents each emotion which can also assists us with any situation we find ourselves in.
- Colouring in with your family has a multitude of benefits in itself.
Firstly it enhances family bonding. It allows you to be in a place and time where you can just be as a family, something which all families need more of in this 24/7 society that we now live in.
Secondly you are showing your children how to mindfully connect and re-fuel themselves. This is positive reinforcement at its best.
- It is a major Self-Empowerment tool so just like physical exercise, this is mind exercise; you are allowing yourself to STOP. You are giving yourself conscious permission to take the driver’s seat here and now.
- Colouring in takes you away from the ‘technological society’; it evokes happy memories of one’s childhood again, and simplifies things in a world that has become more and more complex.
To live a happier and more balanced life we need several tools to help us disconnect from the outside world.
I have a beautiful free mandala page available on my website, for you to try, and experience the benefits of coloring in yourself here.
Karen Humphries is a Women's Wellness Adviser + Writer + Lover of Life.